Teacher - Vision/Orientation and Mobility
The primary responsibility of this position is to evaluate, prepare and implement educational services for referred and qualified Vision Impaired students of varying degrees district wide, as required by state and federal regulations. Develop and maintain appropriate communication with parents, staff and outside agencies as appropriate for students’ educational needs.
1. Bachelor of Arts Degree
2. State of Arizona Special Education Teacher Certification for the Visually Impaired/Orientation and Mobility
3. Obtain and Maintain a valid Arizona fingerprint clearance card
1. Administers appropriate assessment to students’ to evaluate skill level, progress and achievement, when necessary or at the direction of the psychologist or support specialist.
2. Provides instruction consistent with students’ Individualized Education Plans, using strategies, methods and material appropriate to the learner’s abilities, need and learning style.
3. Develops materials and behavioral management strategies which will enable more effective learning.
4. Participates as a member of the student study team when appropriate and provides consultation and assistance in writing modified programs for students in the mainstream.
5. Recommends adapted equipment or alternatives, as appropriate, to promote student success in all environments.
6. Participates in Multi-Disciplinary conferences, IEP meetings and parent conferences; as needed and/or appropriate.
7. Participates in the development of IEPs for students as needed and/or appropriate.
8. Consults with parents, staff and outside agencies as appropriate and/or necessary.
9. Identifies and requests materials, supplies and equipment to enable implementation of IEP goals and objectives, including adaptive equipment and large print material for students within specified timelines.
10. Maintains and submits, in a timely manner, accurate class lists, IEP data for measuring progress towards objectives, IEP Quarterly and Semester Reviews and other required district and compliance documentation.
11. Schedules, plans and implements direct and consultation services and arranges for Orientation and Mobility services for referred or qualified students as indicated by an IEP or team determination.
12. Performs functional screening assessments on students referred by the nurse, support specialist or student study team.
13. Performs initial evaluations and reevaluations on referred students when indicated.
14. Establish and maintain good rapport with students, employees, administration, community members and vendors.
15. Maintains a high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality.
16. Perform other job related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications for this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Read, interpret, and analyze general business documents, government regulations and technical procedures.
2. Create and write reports, business correspondence and written communications with correct grammar and punctuation.
3. Speak to large and small groups and respond to questions from customers, employees and community members.
4. Add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
5. Calculate figures such as percentages and ratios.
6. Draw and interpret bar graphs.
7. Apply mathematical concepts such as percentages, ratios and fractions to practical situations.
8. Interpret assortment of instructions furnished in variable forms.
9. Apply reason to research and solve moderately complex issues with little or no assistance.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Maintains valid certifications and fingerprint card.
Observes teacher calendar and all Madison School District policies.
Director for Special Education and Site Principal
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with Board policy by the Director for Special Education.
Certified Teacher contract.
Please see Certified salary schedule on madisonaz.org
Salary to be determined yearly according to Governing Board approved range.
Job Contact Information
Monday, December 17, 2018 12:00 AM
(Mountain Standard Time)